Sunday, 3 May 2020

5 Mile Open Water Swim in 50°F Water

So I'm planning to swim across Lake Champlain from Vermont to New York (a 5-mile open water swim) later this month. I'm expecting water temperatures of about 50 °C / 10 °C and had a few questions.

So obviously I'll have a boat with me while I swim for safety reasons and to make sure I don't get hit by passing boats. However, I am curious about a couple things.

Based on my swimming ability and current fitness level, I'm guessing the swim will take me about 3-4 hours. I will be renting a neoprene wetsuit (thickness recommended for this water temperature) and plan to swim in just the full wetsuit, cap, and goggles. Has anyone ever done a swim like this and has any recommendations or advice? I am more curious about pacing myself/ if I should pace differently because the water temperature? I am also curious about general temperature regulation / how I should fare for 3-4 hours in 50°F Water?

If anyone has experience with a swim like this please let me know. Thank you!

submitted by /u/The_Prophet_Mo_Salah
[link] [comments]

No comments:

Post a Comment