Sunday, 26 July 2026

Are you aware of any high‑level swimmers who are very heavy or strongly built?

Hello, I’m a man in my thirties who initially looked for a sport that wouldn’t be too hard on my joints, and I eventually turned to swimming. Very quickly, I got hooked and started trying to improve, looking for guides here and there to optimize my glide in the water.

However, I’m not very lean, and I probably never will be. I’m 1.85 m tall and, having started swimming almost two years ago, I began at 148 kg and I’m now at 137 kg (my goal would be to get down to at least 120). I mainly swim front crawl in 25‑meter lengths and try to stop as little as possible. When I start feeling tired, I switch to one or two lengths of breaststroke to rest my arms.

I barely use my legs in the crawl to save cardio and maintain my pace for longer. My best performance so far is 2.5 km in 51 minutes, without stopping.

However, in front crawl, to reach a decent level of glide, I need to use a lot of strength before I can benefit from it, and I have to repeat that effort every 25 meters, which comes very quickly. I think I would probably feel more comfortable swimming 50‑meter lengths, but none of the public pools near where I live offer that.

I understand that most technical swimming guides for improving glide are designed for swimmers with a “normal” body type. That’s why I’m asking: do you know any highly skilled swimmers with a large or heavy build whose movements I could watch on video or elsewhere, so I can see whether I can optimize my glide as a heavier swimmer?

submitted by /u/Cute_Owl5463
[link] [comments]

No comments:

Post a Comment