Wednesday, 29 July 2026

Beginner Q- does an underwater breaststroke count?

Beginner Q- does an underwater breaststroke count?

I started going to down to a residents pool we have access to in our development around 6 months ago. From not being able to swim a length without being totally exhausted or having swallowed water, I slowly taught myself how to use an underwater breaststroke and frog kick to get across the 25 yard pool in 6 - 8 strokes (+ initial kick off). I’m assuming one length is 25 yards because it’s listed as a 25 meter pool and I swim on the slightly shorter side.

Anyway I really enjoy it. It’s a great workout and I like the focus on consistent breathing. My most recent swim I set a new distance record of 5 x 20 lengths. However, I feel like I’m doing something wrong because I’m not front crawling like most other people in the pool? It looks a lot more convenient to be able to rotate and push back off every length, which I’m not currently able to do. Although my Garmin says I’m apparently in the top 1% of swimmers which surely can’t be right and doesn’t seem to align with my metrics, which also makes me wonder whether I’ve got the pool length right?

I’m hopefully looking for some feedback on whether my metrics make sense and whether there are any downsides to only using this kind of stroke? Am I neglecting or overextending some areas?

submitted by /u/Wonderful_Tea1633
[link] [comments]


No comments:

Post a Comment